[Gatesedge] Potential name change.

Dan Brandow dbrandow at concentric.net
Wed Jul 10 01:19:19 PDT 2002

Gentle Lady, and all my friends of Gate's Edge,

Sitting in my study here in the Outlands I wonder why there is a
perceived need to change the name of our soon-to-be Shire.  The
transition from Canton to Shire is indeed a big step, but it is a
natural step which builds upon the history, traditions and hard work put
in by members both past and current.

In my seven or so years with y'all we fostered an attitude - Gate's Edge
was a special island within The Stargate.  Politics didn't touch us
(well, too much ;->) and we relied upon each other as much as we could.
 It wasn't that we thought we were better than The Stargate, or indeed
anyone else.  We just knew that we were stronger as a group if we pushed
up our sleeves and did it ourselves.

And over the years we have accomplished phenomenal things...
 Midsummer's Faire has been a camping event with over 250 attendees.
 We've had peerages given at that event.  Your populace is more than the
number of paid members in my current Barony (And yes, I'm working on that).

So, if the reason why some of you wish to change the name so we can
"separate ourselves" from The Stargate, rest assured that we already
have.  That independent spirit is already part of our good reputation,
and the World knows what we are capable of.

I urge you, if my words still hold any weight in my old haunt, that each
of you and the shire will be better served if you were to concentrate
less on minor or non issues and work to improve yourselves, your group
and your Kingdom.

I do apologize if the above comment seems harsh.  Perhaps there is a
reason why a name change makes sense that I have not heard.  But even if
there is, isn't it more important to expand and improve on what is
already there, than to scrap it and start over?

Nikolaos Demetriou ho Toxotes
Golden Ring, Sable Thistle, Guardian of the Gate