[Gatesedge] Urgent Message from the List Administrator

Snorri Hallsson snorri at houston.rr.com
Tue Aug 19 23:57:05 PDT 2003

Greetings to the list:

Recently there has been some talk on the news regarding a worm,
W32/Sobig.f at MM, that has spread itself through the Internet.  I personally
have received seven separate iterations of the worm tonight.  Since my virus
definitions are up to date, I have not had problems with infection and my
virus scan has cleaned and deleted each e-mail upon delivery.  In addition,
my ISP also has an active virus scan through their network.

I would urge you all to ensure that your individual computers are
virus-free, using the most recent virus definitions that your software has
available.  If you do not use a form of virus prevention software, I would
strongly suggest that you get something on your computer ASAP.  Since many
of us have a great deal of overlap in our address books, the chances for
multiple attacks amongst our group is good should the worm get through and
infect one of our computers.

My personal experience has been that the infected e-mails will come across
with a subject line that varies and the body of the e-mail will simply
direct you to the attached .pif file.  Similar warnings that I've seen on
other lists are advising the same data.  The bottom line is, unless you're
sure of what you're downloading, don't do it.

Lord Snorri Hallsson
Gatesedge List Administrator