[Gatesedge] I owe the shire 1 list rope

D. Vandever hlannes at ev1.net
Sat Jan 31 18:52:53 PST 2004

Dear Friends,
It is with a heavy yet glad heart that I must confess that I have given away
a piece of Shire property. I shall replace it a.s.a.p.

This afternoon I was turning onto 1960 west from Champion Forest Drive when
a beautiful Samoyed puppy of about 6-7 months appeared out of no where
between the cars and began running full out west on 1960. Behind him in hot
pursuit were 3 teen-aged girls dodging cars and crying. Obviously, I
thought, they have lost their dog!

I watched breathlessly as they flagged cars to stop and fruitlessly tried to
catch their dog before it became a road pizza. People were jumping out of
their cars trying to help catch the dog. Others were furiously
waving....hmmm...not all their fingers...and honking and swerving about. It
was wild! And so dangerous!

I slowed down and got the girls into the bed of my truck as the dog kept
getting ahead of them. Then they all piled out again to try to catch the
pup. I saw them run into the front of a building near Paradise Valley and
corner the dog in the bushes out front.

I stopped to see if I could help when a small silver Honda pulled up next to
me in the entrance and a middle aged woman got out. Figuring the lady was
their mother (there was a family resemblance) I commented that the girls had
caught their dog and seemed to be ok. The lady said "That's not our dog!
But when we saw it run into the road, the girls just jumped out and ran
after it! My oldest works for a vet and is a dog lover...they couldn't just
sit there and watch it get run over...I guess it will be our dog now if she
has anything to say about it!" I just stared at her for a moment thinking
how brave (and foolish) her children had been. And also how I feel she must
have raised them right to have that much caring in them.

Just then the oldest girl ran up saying they had the dog cornered but did I
have a rope or anything they could use for a leash??!!??  Without thinking
about it, I reached behind the seat and out came my hand with a rope....one
of the Shire's list ropes from Cour d'Amour that I had never gotten
completely out to the storeroom! I never hesitated but gave it to her at
once.

They got the puppy out of the bushes and safely into their car (with a bit
of coaxing...the pup was scared to death but never once whined or tried to
bite...nice dog...and nice girls). That's the last I saw of our rope was as
the car drove off with all 3 girls and pup safely in the back.

Therefore....I owe the Shire one list rope. I hope you don't mind too much.

Annes
Dear God,  Help me to be the person
my dog thinks I am.  Amen