[Gatesedge] Tandy leather....

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Thu May 27 08:42:20 PDT 2004

> Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 08:53:31 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Paul Haines <alden_drake at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: Re: [Gatesedge] Tandy leather....
> To: "Shire of Gate's Edge - SCA, Inc." <gatesedge at ansteorra.org>
> I dropped a wad[1] of money at Tandy[2] last Friday on some stuff to make a fancy leather
> doublet (ooh la la), and met Jim while I was there.  He seems like a nice guy and has had
> experience dealing with SCAdians and other reenactment/roleplay groups.  One thing he mentioned
> was that HE would like to learn how to make gloves.  He also said that anything he learns how to
> make, he's happy to teach to others.  So if there is some leather craft that YOU know well, let
> him know.
>
> [1] ok, it wasn't a big wad of money, cuz I was smart and went during their grand opening sale!
> woohoo!  ;)
>
> [2] The store is a bit small (by comparison) if you've been to The Leather Factory in Missouri
> City (also owned by Tandy Leather), but what they don't have on stock, they can order for you -
> unless you really want to drive down to Missouri City.
>
> Cheers,
> Alden

Oh!  Boots and shoe making - definately something to learn.
As for gloves, if he is looking to learn how to make from someone in the SCA who teaches classes
on the subject a lot, you may want to check out HL Franchesca, aka Chiara, from the Steppes.  She
may be willing to head down here one weekend (I can offer her crash space) to teach a class, in
exchange for materials from Tandy or some trade in kind.   I think the class runs around 4 hours.
A number of folks have taken her class, so you can check with them for a critique.
Cheers, Hillary