[Gatesedge] leather craft

Ruth Srock cast1es at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 11:45:52 PDT 2008

  Stopped in at Tandy Leather Factory.  In addition to selling leather goods and leather working tools, they also offer classes in leather working.  I looked around their shop and saw many items suitable to the Medieval period, and wondered if any of you would be interested in learning to make products useful for your gear or camping.  Items I noted included a folding stool, various beverage conatiners, belts, steer horn powder pouch (might make a canteen of sorts), leather wine sacks, leather armor (leg), etc.  Saw a great book of Celtic leather designs.  When I spoke with the shop owners, the young woman said she was committed to making a leather corset for a customer, but it was her first one. Although they did not have any in the shop, I suspect once you've learned the craft, you could also make Medieval looking leather shoes.

  I'm not sure that this exactly falls under fiber arts, but thought I'd see if anyone was interested in this craft, and worry about the details later.

Georgann