GL - virus alert

G.R.Rhine PenGwen at ticnet.com
Tue Dec 21 10:56:24 PST 1999

Afan here, with my list admin hat on.

	Let me start by saying, I don't approve of virus warnings on the
list, but this one is real. If you are not on any other lists within
Ansteorra, you may not have heard, but someone is attempting to
spread a virus.

	I received a response to one of my posts, and found an
attachment. Fortunately I have a healthy paranoia when it comes to
receiving files on the Internet, so I double checked with the
apparent sender, and found that he had not sent a file of any kind.

	If you receive a file, even if it is from someone you know, do
not, I repeat DO NOT open it, unless you are completely sure you
KNOW it was sent to you. It only takes a few minutes to double
check with the person who supposedly sent the file... but it is a few
minutes well spent.

	The file I was sent was called panther.exe. However I also
received an e-mail this weekend, from a computer security
consultant friend of mine, who said he had the same thing (his
looked as though it had come from his OWN account, again as a
response to a post he had made earlier), only with a different
name. If in doubt, check it out!

For more information about viruses and virus hoaxes, please see
the following.... oh and bookmark them. They are important.

http://www.cert.org/advisories
http://kumite.com/myths/
http://ntbugtraq.ntadvice.com/safemail.asp

Safe Computing...