GL - A&S questions

Walter J. Wakefield wjwakefield at juno.com
Sat Nov 20 19:32:23 PST 1999

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999 18:22:11 CST "Richard Culver" <rbculver at hotmail.com>
writes:>
> One question for example would be if old instruments used catgut for
strings and wood for the pegs, would working reproductions have to have
the same.

Hopefully you will get a response from someone who is knowlegable about
such things.  In the meantime, it is my understanding that certain
categories of instruments use wood pegs/gut strings, and still do today
(though the gut is synthetic now), and that other categories of
instruments, in period as well as today, use metal strings.  I think it
depends on what kind of instrument you are working on.  If you don't find
any more useful information, let me know and I will see if I can track
down some contacts for you.  I know I have seen a couple of instrument
makers at A&S events - you might post this to the Ansteorra list, if you
have not already done so (I don't get that till later).    Hope this
helps some.

Suzanna, the herbalist