GL - A&S questions

Magdalena magdlena at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 21 17:41:54 PST 1999

Richard Culver wrote:

Cyniric,

    I'll help.  Ask me your questions and I'll see if I can find answers.  ;>

> One question for example would be if old instruments used
> catgut for strings and wood for the pegs, would working reproductions have
> to have the same.  I am planning on such a thing, but want them actually
> playable and to do so may require things like bronze guitar strings, metal
> tuning pegs (could use oak pegs in theory but I think they would eventually
> give using metal strings)

A complete, perfect masterwork A&S display would have catgut strings and oak
tuning pegs along with handmade stain and all that other stuff _and_ it would
play like a Stradivarius.  I'm not perfect.  Neither is anyone else.  Use what
works, and put your reasoning into your documentation.

>      If there is anyone who could spare some face-to-face teaching and maybe
> even show me their examples (purely because I am audio-visual in learning
> style) or pictures of their displays in detail, I would greatly appreciate
> it.

Unless you want to have it done by the end of Feb, I'll take you around our A&S
competition and point out the good and bad points to everyone's display and
documentation.   The basic idea behind a display is to showcase your art.  You
need a table covering.  Common tricks we use include multi-levels, tools of the
trade or a how-to setup, a splotch of red to catch the eye, and a nice binding
or a notebook for documentation.  Basic documentation-  One page docs including
who, what, when, where, how, why, what substitutions did I make and why, and
maybe what did I learn.  Bibliography page.  For a complex project, follow with
a table of contents and a detailed explanation of every step of the project and
the research that led into it.  But be sure and have a one-page beginning
summary.  Sometimes you are lucky if the judge reads that much.

-Magdalena