GL - Our device

Richard Culver rbculver at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 29 19:21:34 PDT 2000

Wesan ge hal!

    Well I have been conferring with the heralds on the herald list about
our device.  I seem to be getting on one hand the "it looks good to me" line
or "hee are the possible problems" line.  Taking the worst cases scenario  I
offer the following for discussion:

      In order to be a phoenix, we have to enflame the bird or else it is
just a bird hovering over the fire.  Not that it will not pass, but not as a
phoenix.  There apparently no examples of a bird over a fire being construed
by the College of Heralds as a phoenix.  If we enflame the bird, it would be
on the lower half of the bird.

      The laurel wreath in our rough sketch came off as sprigs of laurel,
however we can simply redraw it as an encircling wreath without much
problem.  Also the bird within the wreath may be passible, but not period.
It appears to be a Society thing (after all they do require each branch to
have at least one)  See below about the rings.

      I was asked about whether we were really attached to the idea of the
rings in chief.  To compensate for the phoenix, should we enflame it, we
would probably have to draw the wreath further out anyway.  The suggestion
came of possibly removing the rings all together and having three laurel
wreaths in chief.
      Originally we had the rings symbolizing unity and the informal oath of
Glaslyn "to teach what we can or find the people who can do it".  (Or was it
just us being a three-ring circus? :Þ)  I leave that up for discussion.

     What would probably be the best suggestion I read would to have the
heralds of the area (anyone willing to show up from the baronies) and have
them do a consultaion night during one of our populace meetings.  If we
would like to do this let me know when it would be convenient.  Remember, we
have our mini-tourney to jump on still plus whatever we are doing for
Warlord and Springfaire.

   The above was the bulk of any problems they were trying to foresee, but
that was admittedly just one opinion.  One said he thought it would be fine.
  The consultation in person with the populace sound like the better idea to
me and I am willing to contact the local heralds to find a good date.  I
could get together with them prior to get the initial work done as not to
waste time.

  That is all my mind will let me process for now.

Fare hal!
Cyniric, hyrnboda Glaslynes