GL - my modus operandi

Mordock von Rugen mordockvonrugen at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 14 13:37:14 PST 2000

>From: "Mark A. Arnold" <maarnold at gte.net>
>To: Glaslyn List <glaslyn at ansteorra.org>
>Subject: GL - my modus operandi
>Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 22:35:44 -0800
>
>I wrote this on the Elfsea list and I thought ya'll might should hear
>it, too. It explains how I do my thing.
>
>     As an authorizing marshal for heavy fighting, I would be
>philosophically opposed to an
>"authorization day". I like to personally watch a fighter for at least a
>couple of months before
>authorizing them.
[snip rest]

Wow.  Couple of months seems a bit long to me, but to each his own.  You're
dead on about authorization being about warranting that a given fighter is
safe - not just that he knows the rules.

There's another to check this, though.  Rather than just going to practice
and fighting the newbies, and watching them fight when you aren't fighting
yourself, you could always put them through an "authorization drill".

Caid does this.  They don't have many authorization marshals (Senior
Marshals, they call 'em).  So, when they conduct authorizations, they have
the newbie go through a series of fights.  The first, they are purely
defensive.  The second, they are purely aggressive while their opponent is
purely defensive.  Finally, they fight for a while.  Throughout, they call
all good/bad/indifferent blows that land.

This little series is pretty good at exposing any unsafe tendencies in a new
fighter - especially if their opponent is told specifically to try to
frustrate them throughout.

If folks are having trouble getting to an authorizing marshal, the cure is
definitely to get more folks trained to be authorizing marshals.  In the
meantime, though, something like this can help keep newbies from leaving in
frustration while maintaining safety on the field.

Just something to think on....

Dux