GL - our letter for the Letter

Kellie Hardy khardy at flash.net
Mon May 29 20:30:22 PDT 2000

Unto the populace comes fond Greeting from Fritz and Catrin,

What a SPLENDID Steppes Warlord!  You all did a fantastic job at making
the barony's guests feel very welcome, put on terrific tournaments,
courts and competitions, dressed the field and the hall most handsomely,
rendered beautiful scrolls and prizes, and were most generous with
donations for prizes and largesse.  We received so many compliments on
how hospitable this barony is, how nice everything was, and how well the
event went.  You made us very, very proud.
We surely hope that you all had a good time, in spite of the very heavy
work load.  While a bit shell-shocked, we certainly enjoyed a wonderful
event!

The list of fine people to whom we owe a debt of thanks is very long. It
begins with the dedicated service of HL Borek and Ly Isobel.  Thank you
both.   I am sure our event steward, Borek the Indefatigable, and his
Deputy, Isobel the Multi-Talented, will define the majority of these
gentles to us all, but there are a few to whom we owe a particular note
of thanks for their personal service to us and to the Royal family on
our behalf.  To HL Genevieve and Don Duncan, for their tireless
attendance and to Kevin for the kind sharing of his bed, many thanks.
To Ld. Corwin Magone, our personal Vivat! for the most wondrous dinner
on Sunday evening for the Royal Family and our guests.  To Lady
Christant for providing luncheon for the Royal pavilion under extremely
difficult personal circumstances, and to Duchess Larissa's very, very
generous apprentices who graciously served and removed that luncheon on
both afternoons, our respect and gratitude.  We want to thank Mistress
Penelope and Ld. Nicklaus for being so kind to give us use of their
shower, and appreciate Penelope and Mistress Aslyn's help in judging the
Bardic competition.  And, thanks go to Ly. Ches for the last-minute
sewing.

We are very, very pleased to welcome the new titled champions of the
Steppes:  Duke Kien McKewan, our Steppes Warlord (and newest Pelican!),
Ld. Stephen Hawkins, Steppes Champion, Ld. Fearghus McKenna, Steppes
Archery Champion (and Premiere Royal Huntsman, by the way...), and Baron
Athelstaen Athelmearsen, our Bard of the Steppes. We were so pleased to
have had 110 fighters on the Warlord list--the highest number of
fighters EVER in the history of Steppes Warlord, and by some estimates,
one of the largest tourney lists in the history of Ansteorra.  We had a
marvelous list of fighters in the Steppes Champion list as well; one of
the best assemblies of rapier combatants in the Kingdom. In addition to
our titled rapier competition, we enjoyed a great children's rapier
competition; the prowess of our young fighters is truly inspiring.   The
archery title list was equally well-represented, with a large field of
shooters vying for the Steppes title.  We were astounded by the numbers
in our Bardic Champion list; no less than 28 entries, and by the amazing
quality of the performances.  It was noted that the Bardic competition
was the best party in the camp--what a great way to wrap up Warlord!

We are proud to present the two newest members of the Order of the Oak
of the Steppes, Duncan Hepburn and Genevieve de Coutanveaux.  These
people are truly leaders in this barony.  Congratulations also to Connor
MacInnes, and Ian McCrimmin (please excuse our spelling errors here),
newest Acorns of the Steppes.  We are proud of their service.  Many
folks from the Steppes and its Cantons were recognized by Their
Majesties this weekend, make sure you read the herald's letter so you
can congratulate everyone who received a well-deserved award.

OK, now--on to Artisan......!

See you all at Business Meeting!

Yours,

Fritz and Catrin