GL - To wash or not to wash

Magdalena magdlena at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 23 12:40:37 PST 2001

Scot and Michelle Henry wrote:

> Greetings all,
> For those of you knowledgeable in fabrics, I bought some raw silk which I am
> debating about whether or not to wash it.

If you wash and dry it, it will shrink, but be usable for washable clothing
thereafter.  Yes, it will probably bleed quite a bit.  The yellow silk is
theoretically washable, but doing so will considerably change the "hand" of the
fabric and will seriously shrink it.  I'd stick with dry cleaning for that one.
Measure a swatch, between 3x3" & 5x5", of the upholstery fabric and throw it in
the washer & dryer.  Measure it when you take it out & you'll be able to tell
what washing will do it & how much in what direction it will shrink.

Speaking of such things, who is planning to make what this Sunday?  I'm trying
to figure out which books/patterns to pack up & bring with me.

-Magdalena