GL - To wash or not to wash

Afan - Central Regional Seneschal grrhine at swbell.net
Fri Feb 23 09:36:06 PST 2001

Well, I don't know what the experts would say... I can only tell you
what I do.

I was everything!!! That's right, EVERYTHING! I've washed wool,
raw silk, upholstery fabric... you name it. And I wash it all in HOT
water, and put it in the dryer. I'm sure there are people out there
who would scream at me, but... I can't find a  period dry cleaners.

As for the bleeding... I believe you can put some table salt (like a
cup or something) in with the wash water, and it will help the fabric
hold its color. I read an article once that said to use vinegar... I
tried it, and don't know if it helped or not. *shrug* Raw silk being a
natural fiber though, should be dyable... so you could just throw it
back in a dye pot when it fades.

I will give you a word of warning though. Some raw silks are very
nubby... and while they seem sturdy(ish) will end up with large
holes in the middle of them. The one I had that did this was fairly
thin, like other silk I had at the time... and I only had a problem
with the thinnest of them. Again, *shrug*

Well, that's my two cents.

 ~Afan~
You may go look on the rialto pages... I believe that is where I
found the vinegar article. I am sure they will have info there.

Lady Afan ferch Elystan
Central Regional Seneschal