[Glaslyn] Quest for the Flame

susant at unt.edu susant at unt.edu
Wed Jun 27 14:38:14 PDT 2001

Greetings Glaslynders:

For those of you who were not at our last populace
meeting, starting with the July 18 meeting, we will be
hosting a new series - the "Quest for the Flame".  This
is how it works:

There will be 3 containers; the contents will have
individual slips of paper containing the following
information:

Container 1 -  dates in 100 year increments (600, 700,
800, etc. - only dates covering 600-1600 will be used)
Container 2 - countries
Container 3 - offices in the SCA

Here's how the Quest works:

1. One slip of paper will be drawn from each of the
containers.

2. Those that wish to participate will research
something from what has been drawn (i.e. 1300 A.D.,
France, Heraldry).  You can research whatever you want,
however, it must be something from what has been chosen.
 In order words, you could take 1300, France, Heraldry
to research names, devices used, clothing with devices,
the list goes on and on.

3. There will be an entry fee of largess.  There will be
a box (approximately the size of a paper ream box).  You
can bring whatever you want for largess, however, it
MUST fit inside the box.

4. Two months after the drawing, the contest will be run
and a winner chosen.  The winner takes home the contents
of the box.

This is in keeping with the spirit of the SCA and the
idea of research and in the sharing of what we have
learned.

I hope everyone enjoys this new "Quest for the Flame"
series.

-------------------

As a side note, this was not discussed at the meeting,
but is something we need to address.  What if we draw
700 A.D., Ireland, Rapier Marshall?  Do we re-draw or
make a change to the office?  Think about this. (I'm
sure it will happen eventually).  We will discuss this
at the next meeting.

In Service to the Canton,
Lady Lavina del Bakhous
Deputy Seneschal (and soon-to-be seneschal),
Canton of Glaslyn