GL - The Epic Journey

Stephen-David Schubert rogue_heries at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 25 09:30:51 PST 2001

Rough sketch of the tale "'Camp Burnet', the Promised Land"

My tale begins with two adventurers having set forth upon a journey,
on a day when the Wind Gods have engaged in war. The winds howled about
Sebastian and Capricia as they rode their horses through the murky woods.
The rain fell mercilessly upon them. After travelling most the day, they
finally arrived at the tavern where they were set to meet their
companions.
Now to introduce the next party in this tale.....
Cainwen and Wolf had set out on their journey to the tavern. The rain
pelted them as they tried to follow an ill-made map. For days they
journeyed through different towns following the main roads, only to
find that they had passed the tavern near the beginning of their trip.
At last they met with Capricia and Sebastian at the Blackeyed Pea Tavern.
For a few days they waited for their fifth companion to arrive. "Where
the hell is Herries?" was asked. They set forth messengers to all corners
of the realm seeking Herries.
We meet our last member of the group off in a small village. He had
intended on finishing a house he was building for a local lord, and
leaving for the tavern that first day. Unfourtunately for him though,
the day went by much too soon. With his work finally complete, Herries
mounted his steed and rode with great haste through the howling winds.
When he arrived at the tavern, he thought himself too late and that
his companions had already left in search of prommised land called
'Camp Burnet'.
Saddend, Herries rode back through the winds towards home. There it was
on the road that he met with one of the messengers and discovered that
his friends were indeed still there and awaiting his arrival. With
wreckless abondon Herries turned his horse about and spurred him on
with all the speed it could muster back to the tavern.
Having returned to the Blackeyed Pea, Herries joyfully joined his
friends and was informed of their adventures along their ways there.
Sebastian's horse, having thrown a shoe on his jouney, was led to
the local ferrier. From there our sturdy crew set out on their expedition
to the fabled "Camp Burnet"!

The winds still warred. God of the Northern Winds set hard upon the
God of the Southern Winds. Neither baking down, nor taking even a second
to consider the companions' haggard journey through those strange lands.
Tales of dragons having been seen in the area were whispered with
trepidation. The dark forests were watched with keen eyes for bandits
and highwaymen. Each bridge was watched for trolls and invaders. All
the while those terible winds tore through them, and the rain washed all
warmth from their bones.
Spurred on by the rain slacking, they eased their steeds into gallops.
After passing a huge sign on the road which said "This way to the
prommised land of 'Camp Burnet'" turning around, they rode swiftly down
the side trail. Then our harried and haggard bunch rode thier tired
horses past the not-so-pearly gates of the promised land, turned around,
and entered Camp Burnet.
Whith wide wonder and awe, they looked all about at the wondrous site.
High on the hill was the keep of the caretakers. Our heroes tied thier
horses at the foot of the hill and aproached the great oak door of the
keep. Thricely Wolf rasped upon the great door, but to no avail. Just
as they turned to walk back, they beheld the caretakers riding up the
hill towards them. The kind Lord and Lady Ord greeted the group warmly
and invited them to look all about the lands as they pleased.......

So ends my tale of misfourtune and triumph, for now...