GL - The Event

Scot and Michelle Henry henrycs at ix.netcom.com
Thu Mar 29 20:00:48 PST 2001

Don't give up hope.  Every time I've started somewhere new I haven't been
hired until just before the year starts.  Granted the first time was due to
being just out of college and the last due to a sudden move, but I think
Texas tends to work that way anyhow.  Many districts in the area are in a
flux right now due to Robin Hood.  The larger, more suburban districts are
losing sizable chunks of cash every year, but it seems this year in
particular.  Budget cuts are running rampant and everyone is threatening to
have no new hires.  So school districts may wait until they reshuffle all
the current employees (which they won't know what's needed for that until
mid-summer probably at the earliest) before they see that new hires are
definitely going to be needed in some areas.  I know we need a bilingual
teacher at my school - we tried to get one last year, but none were to be
had.  I know we're already requesting another one and my librarian has been
asked to help interview all kinds of college grads for the district.  So as
suspected the no new hires is just a phrase.  Keep looking, I guarantee
you'll find a job.  Didn't you say you were special ed. or pre-K?  I know
some districts even offer signing bonuses for spec. ed. because they are in
such need.

Best wishes.  We should definitely meet once you come.

Capricia