[Glaslyn] Virtual Hosp. Report f/Feb. BsMtg.

Jann Mays hlgabrielle at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 5 16:53:06 PST 2002

VIRTUAL HOSPITALER’S REPORT FOR THE MONTH OF JANUARY.
                          BARONY OF THE STEPPES
(normally given at the business meeting, but due to snow and ice...)

JANUARY STATS -- We had 15 newcomers total contact and/or join up with our
Barony in January: of those 15, 12 were online contacts, 3 from fighter
practices, and 5 were transfers from other kingdoms.

TWELFTH NIGHT -- We had 7 newcomers at our Newcomer’s Table at 12th Night in
January!  Mischele & little Malayna, Jenna, Diana, Patty, Brendan (Noble)
and Anne (Donna).  All of our newcomers wore wonderful late period garments
and adornments that were worthy of Laurels!  Vivat to newcomer Mischele, who
won the Late Period Women’s garb competition!!  She designed her costume
from pictures she found on the internet and constructed them in less than
two weeks!!  Anne had also constructed some beautiful garments for her and
her husband, Brendan, which we all ooooh’d and ahhhhh’d over!  She had
designed her costumes from the internet as well.  Please note that Noble and
Donna Field are now Brendan and Anne.  During Court and Feast, we were close
to all of the action (sweating it just a bit during the heavy weapons
competition that took place a stone’s throw from us, though the Marshalls
took good care that we didn’t end up with a fighter across our table), as
well as able to hear the comments made by Their Majesties, Their Highnesses,
and Their Excellencies heaping glories upon those who deserved them.
Remember, we always need “mentors” (those who sit with our newcomers to help
explain the awards and structure during Court), so please donate your time
to sit with us and help us out at future Steppes indoor Courts.

JANUARY STEPPES’ SINGALONG -- The Steppes’ Singalong went well.  Though we
opened up the Steppes’ Singalong to everyone who was interested in
relearning the old songs and reminiscing back to the days of olde, it was
originally created for newcomers who had never been exposed to those songs
so often heard around the bardic fires at events.  We had 16 people in
attendance!!  Several who were new to these songs (I hesitate to call them
newcomers as they have been around for awhile, now) were:  Brendan and Anne,
Andrew and Stellaluna, Lord Iames and Liadan, and, our more recent newcomer,
Patty Healey.  Others in attendance were Clare, Doña Antonia, Rosemunde, HL
Averial, Ghiselaine and Colin, HE Fritz (who brought our guest from the
Principality of Lochach), and, of course, myself.  Vivats go to Clare for
organizing the song materials and songbooks (and generally running the
show), and to Brendan and Anne for the use of their home.  All attendees
receive a songbook in which to add songs during future monthly singalongs.
We are in need of more bards and people who know the tunes to these songs!
I am familiar with some of the melodies, but not all, as was witnessed, so
others are especially needed to help out!  Won’t you please join us?  It was
a lot of fun!!  My personal thanks go to His Excellency Fritz, Rosemunde,
Colin and Andrew when they were able to help in those areas where melodies
failed me.   The next gathering will be Wednesday, February 13th, at the
home of Lord Iames and Liadan in Richardson.

DEPUTIES -- Please note that the following are my current Deputy
Hospitalers:  HL Chiara is my Virtual Deputy to help me with online
contacts; Milady Clare is my Primary Contact Deputy and protégée who helps
with her presence at the practices and welcoming newcomers online; and Lady
Morgan Cain is my Printed Materials Deputy.  I want to publicly recognize
them for all of their help since I stepped into this office 9 months ago – I
couldn’t do it without them!

DEMO COORDINATOR -- Hooray!  We have a Steppes’ Demo Coordinator!  Vivat
Laird Iames!!  He has started off with a bang as witnessed by many at last
month’s Populace!!  Please volunteer in helping out at the many upcoming
demos – especially at Irish Fest!!   Fighters are needed, dancers are needed
and, otherwise, all any other volunteers need do is wear garb, work on a
project, or display some of your A&S items.    Please contact Laird Iames
for further information.

IN FEBRUARY -- Newcomer Orientation to Heraldry / Heraldic Consultation
Worknight. This will take place soon after Border Wars at Lady Margarite’s
home in Carrollton. This will be a quick orientation on naming practices
(locative vs. descriptive, patronymic, etc.) and heraldic device work-up
(charges, rules of tincture, submission, etc.), followed by a consultation /
research session with available heralds and the books available in the
heraldic library.  All local members of the College of Heralds are
encouraged to attend and help out with the consultations.  I will post the
finalized date of the special heraldic worknight on the list as soon as it
is definite.  Otherwise, please contact me.

That’s it!  Have fun in the snow and stay warm!
Gabrielle
Steppes’ Hospitaler

" Le Bonheur est une trajectoire et non une destination.
ALORS : Travaille comme si tu n'avais pas besoin d'argent.
Aime comme si jamais personne ne t'avait fait souffrir.
ET Danse comme si personne ne te regardait !! "