[Glaslyn] Re: [Steppes] (no subject)

lizdenpeters at juno.com lizdenpeters at juno.com
Thu Aug 7 10:31:02 PDT 2003

Good Gentles,
I was very surprised and saddened at Business Meeting to hear the
announcement that our Baron and Baroness were stepping down. The Twelfth
Night where they were invested as our Baron and Baroness was one of my
first SCA events. It seems such a short time, and such a long time, also.
As I was doing errands yesterday, I was thinking about all the things
that Fritz and Catrin have done for our Barony during their tenure. Many
of you are aware of more of these things than I am, since I was such a
complete newbie (translation: clueless) when they took office. What
follows is a short list of their accomplishments that came to mind.
There had once been a rift between Steppes and a sister Barony. (The how
and why of which I know not.) As Baron and Baroness, Fritz and Catrin
made it a priority to heal this rift so we could enjoy the good
relationship we have today.
Had it not been for the support of Fritz and Catrin, we would not have
the vibrant archery program we enjoy and are so proud of in our Barony.
Fritz and Catrin made it a priority to support the martial arts in our
Barony by supporting both our heavy and rapier fighters. This has
included moving the locations of our fighter practices a number of times
to promote attendance, and approving purchases of loaner gear, etc., to
encourage the training of new fighters.
Fritz and Catrin have a special place in their hearts for equestrians so
that we now, due to their support, have a titled Equestrian Champion
tournament.
As Baron and Baroness, they didn't forget about the arts and sciences
either. As Muireann pointed out in her e-mail post, they have
enthusiastically supported the Calligraphers & Illuminators Guild.
The mini-collegiums we hold periodically would not be a reality without
their help and encouragement.
They have continuously supported all our guilds such as Bardic, Dance,
and Herbal, etc., new or established, so that we have an even more
diverse arts & sciences program in our Barony.
They have also made certain that our Barony offers a welcoming home and
encouragement to newcomers.
These are just a few of their accomplishments in the four years they led
the Steppes. I think it is a record they can be justifiably proud of.
And, since I was so new at the beginning of their tenure, there are
probably many of you out there who can make my short list look even more
paltry than it is.
With their new family responsibilities, the last year or so has been very
difficult for them, and they have tried very hard to rise to the
occasion. As my first Baron and Baroness, I will remember their reign
with great fondness, and hope that, when their mundane lives settle a
little more and the children are a little older, they will again be fully
involved in our Barony (Translation: Will we be able to talk them into
being gluttons for punishment at some time in the future??). But they are
leaving us with a proud and strong Barony, and whoever succeeds them has
a hard act to follow and will need the help of the entire Populace.
In service to the dream,
Lady Fionnuala the Fey "Nuala"
A Humble Member of the Barony

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 22:48:53 -0500 "Ron Hardy" <rhemail at swbell.net>
writes:
> Greetings unto the Populace,
>
> At the Steppes business meeting tonight, we announced that we would
> be
> stepping down from the position of Baron and Baroness at the coming
> Steppes Twelfth Night.
(Snip!)