[Glaslyn] (no subject)

Ron Hardy rhemail at swbell.net
Tue Aug 5 20:48:53 PDT 2003

Greetings unto the Populace,

At the Steppes business meeting tonight, we announced that we would be
stepping down from the position of Baron and Baroness at the coming
Steppes Twelfth Night.  It is with a mixture of anticipation and
nostalgia that we make this transition.  We have served this Barony in
good faith and to the best of our ability for what will be exactly four
years at our stepping-down, and we have been rewarded with the rich
gifts of  friendship, trust, challenge and opportunity.  We have met
many of the goals we set with you, and many of our personal goals as
well.  As in any aspect of life, we have fallen short in others.  We
hope in the end that we have been representatives that you could be
proud of.

Their Majesties have accepted our petition for release from fealty, and
have established the following timetable for the succession of the
Barony:

Tuesday, August 5:  Open applications for succession.  Candidates will
submit written applications and proof of membership to Their Majesties,
the Kingdom Seneschal, and the Baron and Baroness.  Electronic
submissions will not be accepted.

Candidates may post their applications to appropriate elists (Steppes,
Glaslyn, Lindenwood) after they have been submitted to the above
parties.   Obviously, public discussion on these lists regarding the
candidates' merits will not be appropriate.

Tuesday, Sept. 2:  Applications will be closed.   All applications must
be received and confirmed by the Crown, Kingdom Seneschal and B&B.
Applications will be read and published for perusal at business meeting.

Wednesday, Sept. 3 through Thurs. Sept. 25:  Populace may send their
commentary regarding candidates to Their Majesties either by mail or
electronically.

Ballots will be made available to those who wish to mail their polling
rather than be polled at the September populace meeting **(see details
below).

All commentary and/or mail-in ballots must be postmarked by Sept. 25th.
Ballots will be accepted only at the live polling (September populace
meeting) or by mail, no emails.

Thursday, Sept. 25:  Their Majesties' emissary will attend populace
meeting.  Candidates will be invited to give brief statements, a Q&A
session will follow, and polling will take place.  Obviously, those who
mail in their ballots may not submit another ballot at the meeting.
**NB:  Ballots will provide for your indication of 1st, 2nd and 3rd
choice, your membership status and name.  All ballots will be reviewed
regardless of membership status.

Sept. 2 through Oct. 20:  Crown will make themselves available to
interview candidates at any event they attend.  Candidates will schedule
such interview through Their Majesties' Chancellor, Sir Godwin of
Eddington.

Sat/Sun. Oct. 25/26:  Steppes Fall Court.  Successors will be announced.

Sat. Jan. 3, 2004:  Steppes Twelfth Night.  Baronial Investiture.

Some altering of the above schedule may occur.   We trust that this
process will be smooth and peaceful, just as was the transition that
brought us to the Baronial seats.  We thank you for allowing us to serve
the Barony in the capacity of her Nobles, and look forward to welcoming
our successors.

On a lighter note, we have praise, congratulations and thanks to express
over a lovely Steppes Artisan.  We are delighted to report that all of
those who claimed titles in the competitions are at home in the Steppes!
 Don Eisen was victorious in his bid as Steppes Artisan with an
overwhelming and most impressive entry, spanning many disciplines and
presented in an arresting display.
Don Brendan, who recently earned the title of Queen's Champion, accepted
the mantle of Steppes Champion after many exciting duels with some of
the sharpest fighters in the Kingdom.  Although the list was small, it
was excellently represented and brilliantly fought.
In the quest for Steppes Archer, a newcomer to the Steppes and the SCA
bested a field of expert archers in a most exciting final round!  We
hold the hope that Jason of Many Bows' new journey will be as fruitful
as that of his predecessor, Lord Ulrich.

We were pleased to be able to present awards on Their Majesties' behalf,
including Awards of Arms for Alvin de Clairmont and Linet Gray, a
Thistle in Illumination for 'Nualla the Fey, a Sable Crane for Donnel
MacGregor, and a Star of Merit for Arianna Balfour.  Also recognized for
their service to Steppes were Countess Conal, Don Brendan, Morgan
Buchanan, and Morgan Cain, who received their Acorns, and Master
Petrucchio, who was accepted into the Order of the Oak.  Congratulations
to all!

We wish to thank the event steward, Lord Bren'nian, for his hard work in
making Artisan happen despite several setbacks in the planning stages.
It was a lovely event.  Our deep thanks also to Master Petruchhio, the
feast steward, who smoothed over one of those setbacks with his
generosity and expertise and provided everyone with two delicious meals.
We are especially indebted to the Calligrapher's and Illuminer's Guild,
who provided perfectly exquisite scrolls to our champions.  Finally, our
thanks to the many people on the staff of the event whose work made it
all look so easy.   Well done!

We are looking forward to the approach of autumn and winter, and the
exciting days ahead for the Barony.  We anticipate a fun, relaxing Fall
Court, and a splendid Twelfth Night to welcome your new Baron and
Baroness.  If there is any way that we may serve you in the coming days,
let us know.  It is our greatest pleasure.   We remain, yet a while
longer,

For Steppes and Ansteorra,

Fritz and Catrin
Baron and Baroness