[Glaslyn] Re: [Ansteorra] Merchanting in TX

ylwrose2 at juno.com ylwrose2 at juno.com
Wed Nov 10 10:04:25 PST 2004

To the Good Gentles of Ansteorra

The best advice is to contact your State Sales and Use Tax people.  You
don't have to give your name, and you can ask some pretty specific
questions.  For Texas, visit www.window.state.tx.us or call 800-252-5555.
 The publication for Flea Markets or Trade Shows is what you are looking
for.

A quick call (less than 5 minutes) to the Texas State Comptroller's
office reveals that merchants must have a Texas Sales and Use Tax Permit.
 These should be presented at gate when they are checking in, and should
be displayed in their booth while on site.  It is not *necessary* for
gate personnel to keep copies of the certificates from individual
merchants.  However, the point of requiring these Permits is to keep the
local group from being responsible for remitting sales tax (8.25% in the
Dallas area).  That is the risk and responsibility of the individual
merchant.

I did ask specifically about merchants from Oklahoma and Louisiana and
was told that merchants from these states are required to apply for a
Texas Sales and Use Permit.

So.  I hope I have answered at least a few questions, and not raised too
many more.

In Humble Service to the Dream
HL Francesca Laviana Sansovino