[Glaslyn] Thanks Glaslyn

Doug Turnage wolf7777777 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 1 10:00:54 PDT 2006

Greetings Glaslyn

      I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you to those of you who
gave items to send to our troops in Iraq. The Officer that we are sending
the items to is one of my best friends and father to my goddaughter. I am
including his letter of thanks to us. You will also gain a little insight
into what is really going on in Iraq. Thanks again.

Doug,

Thank you again, and please give everyone at the SCA my deepest thanks for
the
package.  The reciepiants of the packages contents will never see their
faces,
but I am deeply indebted to them and yourself for caring for us.

I wish I could give you a better answer of what we need than to
say another ice age or chocolate (please don't send chocolate.  What we end
up
with on this end is rather vile.  Empty wrappers and a brown mess that has
leaked out of the package all over everything. Try this: fill the oven with
candy bars (and I mean full).  Set the temp to 140F and go away for two
weeks.
Get the picture, VILE).

As for what is going on over here...I can say in very generic terms (I'll
get
specific when I can see you, and I'll bring pictures) is that we do the day
day work of putting a country back together that his lived under an
oppressive
"Dick"tator for 30 years.  Consider rebuilding schools where all the
teachers
were executed, rebuilding the utilities to towns that were raised to the
ground,
and rebuilding hope where that has been taken away too.  I feel rather like
Von
Stubbin (sp) from the Revolution.  He came to these backwards (to him)
people
and taught them how to be an Army.  We are doing the same things (classes
and
instruction to the Soldiers), but we understand that the population is part
of
the solution as well, so we must help them step into the light of day.

I saw something on the news that made me laugh today.  A group of political
types were discussing amnisty for insergents.  What makes it funny is that
the
concept is a western thought.  Amnisty is not an issue over here.  Family is
first (bottom line).  Someone attacks my brother, mother, cousin, uncle,
etc.
and there is hell to pay.  Then there is religion, then friends, etc.
There's
an entire pecking order.  Honor is very important.  But a person can set up
an
IED if it's to get money for their family and that is seen as honorable.
Not
that they tried to kill someone, that they are taking care of their family.
Over here it all makes sense.  So when you catch the guy putting in the IED,
chances are that he isn't a terrorist, he's just trying to make ends meet in
war torn country and doesn't hold anything against anyone.  Like I said it
all
makes sense over here.

Sorry I can't get more specific.  I really wish I could.  We're doing good
things, and we are forever thankful for the love and support of those of you
fighting the war on the home front.  Thank  you and keep your head down too.

In His service,

Mike

Richard "Mike" Redfield
MAJ, FA