[Glaslyn] Radical Idea

Judie Willey littledragon0861 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 12:53:12 PST 2007

I was going to talk to Paul at middle faire about the site as well...but
there are no privies or showers as yet. Torquil and I are building a
permanent building there for our pottery booth...but he is doing a lot of
building for the fall season...
Hadassah

On 2/22/07, Faelan Caimbeul <faelancaimbeul at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had an idea yesterday, and I'm trying to see if people would be
> interested
> in helping with this.
>
> It's been said that the only way we're going to get a Warlord site with
> everything we want is to build it ourselves. How many people would be
> willing to put their muscle where their mouth is?
>
> I was looking at potential sites for recruiting demos yesterday and so I
> of
> course checked all the local Renfaires. Four Winds Renfair runs from March
> to April and is never open on Memorial Day weekend. The site has shade,
> flushies, hot showers, electricity in the camping area, running water, a
> period town and equestrian arena complete with jousting area. Oh, and it's
> all on private property, so we can keep the public out. Anyone wondering
> around would be trespassing, and subject to arrest.
>
> As an added bonus, the site is 338 acres, with woods, stream and fields
> (that's nearly twice the size of Pennsic from what I'm told) and again,
> since it's on private land, and a Renfair, the option of building
> permanent
> structures to meet our needs is there. It's just south of Ennis, so not
> too
> terribly far, and near hotels.
>
> If this site doesn't work out, there's also Middlefair which currently has
> land, and one building. Period.
>
> My idea is this. How many people would be willing, at several points
> during
> the faire's off season, make an "event" out of it and form a working party
> to build what we need, repair what's there and make whatever changes we
> and
> the owners need done for each of our activities? The bargain I wish to
> strike is similar to Pennsic and Gulf War's arrangements of trading labor,
> time and some money for a permanent site with all we could hope for.
> Ideally, I'd like to include free (meaning no $$$) use of the site for our
> one event each year (and possibly Three Kings as well to make it more
> worth
> our time and money).
>
> Along with working parties we would also have a booth there during their
> run
> and have fighting and bardcraft "performance", of which the owners aren't
> paying for and will add to their draw of customers and hence our potential
> pool of new recruits as well. I know we have several swordsmen that can,
> and
> do, ham it up for the crowds on occasion and would make a great showing.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Faelan

Rebbe Hadassah Sarai bas Yossi
MoC Barony of Steppes