[Glaslyn] Radical Idea

Faelan Caimbeul faelancaimbeul at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 12:40:09 PST 2007

I had an idea yesterday, and I'm trying to see if people would be interested
in helping with this.

It's been said that the only way we're going to get a Warlord site with
everything we want is to build it ourselves. How many people would be
willing to put their muscle where their mouth is?

I was looking at potential sites for recruiting demos yesterday and so I of
course checked all the local Renfaires. Four Winds Renfair runs from March
to April and is never open on Memorial Day weekend. The site has shade,
flushies, hot showers, electricity in the camping area, running water, a
period town and equestrian arena complete with jousting area. Oh, and it's
all on private property, so we can keep the public out. Anyone wondering
around would be trespassing, and subject to arrest.

As an added bonus, the site is 338 acres, with woods, stream and fields
(that's nearly twice the size of Pennsic from what I'm told) and again,
since it's on private land, and a Renfair, the option of building permanent
structures to meet our needs is there. It's just south of Ennis, so not too
terribly far, and near hotels.

If this site doesn't work out, there's also Middlefair which currently has
land, and one building. Period.

My idea is this. How many people would be willing, at several points during
the faire's off season, make an "event" out of it and form a working party
to build what we need, repair what's there and make whatever changes we and
the owners need done for each of our activities? The bargain I wish to
strike is similar to Pennsic and Gulf War's arrangements of trading labor,
time and some money for a permanent site with all we could hope for.
Ideally, I'd like to include free (meaning no $$$) use of the site for our
one event each year (and possibly Three Kings as well to make it more worth
our time and money).

Along with working parties we would also have a booth there during their run
and have fighting and bardcraft "performance", of which the owners aren't
paying for and will add to their draw of customers and hence our potential
pool of new recruits as well. I know we have several swordsmen that can, and
do, ham it up for the crowds on occasion and would make a great showing.

Thoughts?

Faelan