[Glaslyn] yep, I was laid off... questions answered

Duncan Hepburn duncan at stormypetrel.org
Thu Jan 13 17:31:30 PST 2011

Greetings to my friends and family in Steppes and Glaslyn,

I know that there have been some questions, rumors, and speculation about me
lately, so I thought I'd just let everyone know and quash all the
whispering.

I did get laid off from my position of 11 years at Verizon last week. I have
3 more weeks on the company payroll, some vacation to cash in , and a modest
severance. I am not too worried. While the job market overall is not great,
my field is still doing very well as far as positions available. For those
that are wondering, my career is network security, specifically intrusion
detection and prevention, but I have experience and exposure to many types
of network security under my belt. I am working on updating my resume to
start hitting the job market, but since it was last really updated in 2003
(I don't count the 2006 revision, as it was mostly an address update), it
may be a week or so before it is ready for distribution.

To answer some questions we got this weekend (and make this post SCA
relevant):

At this time, we do NOT intend to be stepping down as Baron and Baroness.
At this time, we do NOT intend to be relocating away from Dallas.

We are having to re-asses our commitment to go to Gulf Wars however. I
figure that this March I will be in one of two situations: still unemployed,
or newly employed without any vacation available. If the first is the case,
then I have to say I am just too frugal and worried about saving as much as
I can for as long as I can to get through the jobless times to be willing to
splurge a week on vacation. If I were to land a new job, my career is too
important to me to risk it by requesting a week off so soon after being
hired.

There is still a chance that I can find a position in another area of
Verizon in the next three weeks, and if that happens, then I will still have
vacation, et all, everything I just said will be irrelevant, and it will be
"game on" for Gulf Wars. I'll know the answer to the third possibility on or
before February 4th, which unless something comes through internally is my
last day at Verizon.

As always, please contact me with any questions or concerns.

Regards,

Duncan