[Glaslyn] The sight of silk banners of your heraldry fluttering in the breeze…Can you see it?

Michelle Dodd lygabrielerdb at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 29 21:58:51 PDT 2012

Come and join us to learn about
silk banner painting.  I will be hosting
a class at our house on Sunday, November 18th.
We will start at 9am and continue through the day until we are done. The
class size will be limited to 12, so sign up quickly to reserve your spot. The
deadline to sign up is November 11th.

I will be teaching the resist
method. This is one of the easier methods to use and great for beginners. Have full
size line drawings of the images you want to use on your banner ready for the class.
Good ideas are: charges from your device, mottos (in the font you want to use),
and the Baronial and/or Kingdom populous device. When planning out your banner,
remember they will be flying up on a pole. So think how it will look from 10
feet away. Any text should be at least 2” tall to be legible from a distance.

Here is a good website to start
looking for heraldic clip art:

http://www.heraldicclipart.com/catalog/index1.html

We will start by tracing the
images on the banners in pencil. Then we will mount the banners on the frames, repeat
the pencil outlines with the resist and allow it to dry. Then we begin to paint
with liquid dyes. Once dried, you finish your banner with a hot iron to set the
dye and make it water resistant.  With a
simple design, you could be able to take your banner home that same day. The
final step is to add sleeves or ties to mount your new banner on a pole.

The dyes and resists are being
supplied by the barony. You only need to pay for the silk and the frames. The
silk banners are pre-made 14” x 72” rectangles. They are $5 each. You can also
provide your own silk if you want a different size or shape. I would recommend
8mm Habotai silk. The Dharma trading company (www.dharmatrading.com) is a good source.

The frames are made from PVC pipe
and can break down for easy storage with the largest piece being only 2’ long. Frames
are $15 a set and include pipe, connectors, safety pins, rubber bands. If you
have your own frame, you can use is as well. Frames must be at least 2”-3”
bigger than the banner and must keep the banner elevated off the table top.

Remember to sign up by November
11th and let me know if you will be supplying your own silk or
frame. The money is due by 11/11 as well.

What: Silk Banner Painting Class

Where: 10109 Rita Road, Dallas,
TX 75243

When: Sunday, November 18th,
starting at 9am

Who: Baroness Sancha Galindo de
Toledo. Rogo1066 at yahoo.com. 520-891-8242. (No calls after 9pm)

[Directions: Take best route to
I-635 Greenville Exit (Just east of I 75).
Take the Greenville exit and go north on Greenville. Turn right on
Walnut Street. Turn left at the light on Whispering Hills Drive. Turn left on
Rita Road (4th left). We are the 7th house on the right.]

The pursuit of truth and beauty is a sphere of activity in which we are allowed to remain children all our lives. (Albert Einstein)