HNW - Facsimile Patternbooks

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Sun Nov 2 17:55:52 PST 1997

Dear Laura-

Since I got to your  message first, I'll put aside one of the remainig
copies of "Flowers" for you.  Did you see my earlier message about Assissi
work? I, too, have been researching period - style Assisisi work for many
years, and have collected enough historical patterns for a booklet. I sent
an article to Tournaments Illuminated last January/February, and it will
supposedly show up in the Winter issue, so keep your eyes peeled.

Eowyn Amberdrake has also studied Assissi work (period style) -- I was
hoping to get a thread going but it never happened. :-(

I have complete xerox copies of the 1881 and 1883 volumes by Freida
Lipperhide. Kathleen Epstein reprinted the 1883 one with translation of the
German text. She  did a magnificent job, photographing the original book
and presenting the patterns in easy to use fold out pages. Lipperhide
contains quite a lot of Assissi work patterns, all of them 16th and 17th
century.

Like you, I can't design (those who can't draw-- do graphs!) so I have
spent years collecting what patterns I can. In January/February I will be
leaving the research libraries of Philadelphia so I am scurrying to try and
get whatever information I can.

What libraries/museums have you been to? I found lots of good information
in Boston and here in Philadelphia. Once I move I start exploring the New
York Public LIbrary, since Dover seems to have found some good stuff there
(I heard a rumor that's where they get their lace facsimiles).

Once we get a new computer, printer, and a scanner I may go back to working
on  my Assissi booklet (for SCA publication,only). If your stuff comes out
first, fine!  I am workign on too many booklets as it is....

- --Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries..too little time"