HNW - Facsimile Patternbooks

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Sun Nov 2 17:55:41 PST 1997

Dear Paula-

I did not mention the Falconwood Press books because I assumed Donna wanted
only facsimiles, or books that showed them. Those books are, indeed,
recharting, but there are only countwork designs. "Flowers of the Needle"
contains ALL the patterns, charted and not, because they are facsimiles.
Also, all the Italian text is translated. The advantage for the needlework
historian is that you can see the patterns in context, and see patterns for
various forms of needlework.

I should also point out that my copy of Shorelyker, purchased from
Falconwood some years ago, is missing pages of patterns. I have seen the
missing patterns in mundanely  published books on historical needlework. It
may be that Falconwood has corrected these omissions since then-- I don't
know.

I will set aside the third and remaining copy of "Flowers of the Needle"
for you, but I don't have any  more copies of the 1619 modelbuch--the one I
have is set aside for Donna. If I don't hear from her in the next day or
two, I have someone else who responded earlier and will sell it to her. I
am not in a position to print up and ship out many copies of these books,
and only offered in an attempt to clean out my closet and to answer Donna's
request. I hope everyone will  understand, and I am flattered that I seem
to have resources other people want. <blush!>

- --Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries..too little time"