HNW - scans of 17th & 18th cent. costumes

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Tue Nov 4 21:16:53 PST 1997

Dear Beth-Katherine-

Wow, that sure sounds interesting. I never look at Mona Lisa but now you
have got me interested. Those Italian necklines can be deceiving. The first
time I looked at Santina Levey's "Lace, a History" I was wowed by the
necklines on the various saints in paintings by Crivelli. I always thought
they were wearing some form of  trim aroudn the neck, and it ended up being
very very fine pulled work. Talk about going blind...

There is a painting in the Metropolitan Museum of Art (I took several close
ups) that show an Italian Madonna. She has several rows of  interesting
needlework on her chemise neckline, too. Totally fascinating -- one of the
rows has what seems to be double running designs in the form of those funny
"s" shapes one sees-- the ones on their sides.

Please get back to us with more on this -- it's really opened my eyes.

- --Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries..too little time"