HNW - Drawn thread/facsimile patterns/mittens

John Ordway ordway at glasnet.ru
Wed Nov 5 00:56:34 PST 1997

Nan
- -- you've said you're doing a Viking-style apron in linen.  Wow! Where'd
you get the linen?  I keep telling everyone here that linen is very
expensive in the US as it is mostly imported ... true?  Would love to get
the facts.
Where are you doing the drawn thread work on the linen -- across the top of
the bosom, or all the way round, or .... I wouldn't worry about "doing
something wrong" -- I am beginning to think there were a few basic
patterns/stitches that were learned, and then each seamstress made up her
own design from her basic knowledge.  I've gathered a lot of books, but
can't find anything "totally" the same as what I am dong, but the basic
stitches are the same.

Melinda (EowynA)
- -- how lucky that you are taking your Ukrainian openwork course.  I got a
copy of such a course (from a Canadian group) from Bette Feinstein's
wonderful book collection -- most of it is the same as what we do.  It was
especially helpful to see the names of the stitches in "Latin" -- we're
learning it all in Russian, and it's practically impossible to try and even
translate it anymore -- I mean,
how to you translate/explain something that sounds like "rupp -te'- chi --
pool' - u - chok?"  ROFL
(that's one of the needleweaving stitches where you are working around a
spoke and you have to weave back, and then go forward)
      Just out of curiosity, are you working w/DMC floss?  I'd love to know
the number of the color Red you are using -- I keeping telling people  the
red used is a "Slavic red" -- almost warm/orange, rather than cool
Christmas red.  All the Slavic needleworks share that same basic red.  Then
once you get into Turkey and the ....stan countries, you go to a deeper
red.
      I do have some Ukrainian cross- stitch things, but I don't see any
drawn thread work here except on tablecloths.  We hope to get to Kiev
sometime before we leave in the next two years.  My teacher said when she
was growing up when a girl sewed her lingerie and bridal lingerie it was
automatically decorated with drawn thread bands, and often blouses were
decorated with drawn thread.  Now it is seldom done, and most women under
45 never have done it, although their mothers probably still could.
What I have seen of the teacher's is her class samples, but she often
speaks of what she has at home of her grandmother's.  Hopefully I'll see
those one day.
     What are you making your shirt out of and what thread are you using?
 I'm using DMC white floss and Mettler 100% quilting cotton (it's 40/3) but
for the cobweb design I'm doing it's a real pain -- the ply on the Mettler
is twisted to the right (good for machine work) but not so good for this
very intricate pattern.  The thread I work with just keeps getting twisted
and stayed twisted.
But then again, I'll probably never do it again -- it looks very nice when
finished, but you want to kill yourself when you are doing it!!  Our
sampler is a 50 cm by 50 cm square -- there is a band all the way around of
different needlewoven stitches/patterns, and then the inside is filled with
different "quadrants" of stitch samples -- not all drawn thread, mind you
- -- it's amazing how we've crossed the line into hedebo (sp), and other
things.  But then again it's all drawn thread as you have to draw the
threads out to set up the stage to do all the other stitches on.
      Where did you get your Modelbuch from?  Is it expensive?  I've
stopped ordering stuff from Bette F. sight unseen as I have plenty of
 books now -- what I lack is the time.  She does have some German things
but I've not ordered them, although I speak some German.  The other book
that is good for beginners and cheap is a reprint Mary Thomas Book -- about
7.95 from Dover, the Mary Thomas's Embroidery Book. It has the best
chapters (for me) on drawn thread  work, hedebo embroidery, filet darning,
net embroidery and needleweaving.

Not to open a can of worms here, but I was very "intrigued" about the open
discussion on this list of copying materials.  Are people copying materials
that no longer have a copyright date? Or ...   I did see references to
facsimile reproductions -- where does one get hold of those? <g>  In
re-reading the posts I see that the Scarlet Letter has pattern books.  Can
someone post their info for me?  They don't happen to be on the web, do
they?  If someone would care to send me a copy of the catalog I'd be happy
to send them a box of Russian sewing pins!

 I'm coming at this from the quilting side where copying books and patterns
except for fair use (personal, that is) is a complete no-no.

In case I forgot to mention it, I also quilt, and knit.  I don't have much
time for knitting, but my knitting love of the moment is the mittens from
Latvia and the Baltic states -- very intricate, fun to do, and very warm.
 It's no fun wearing gloves when the temps. get below 0.

BTW, where is everyone on this list from?  Anyone else like me overseas?
 Must be some people from the UK here.

Glad to see that someone here is interested in nallbinding mittens.  I
don't do them myself, but have seen them in use in Finland on people that
have to be outside a lot -- they are VERY warm.

The different mitten  patterns from "Scandinavia" are very interesting.
 Norway/Sweden seem to have the predominant patterns that we in the US are
familiar with, and then there are all sorts of variants.  I can pick out
the separate ones from Finland, Sweden, Norway and the Baltic States at a
glance.  Do the Danes have their own?  What about Iceland?  Yet, of course,
they all incorporate what we also think of as "Fair Isles."

This list is too much fun for me to have to wait every week for the digest.
 I'm going to  have to get my computer guru/a.k.a. DH to undo me and put me
back on "regular".

And Janis -- I haven't forgotten I promised you your bead book.  Hope to
get it wrapped up (with a ga-zillion other things that need to be mailed)
and put into our mail system on Monday.  It's a holiday here Friday (Great
October Revolution Day) so it throws our schedule off this week.

If anyone answers any of my rambling questions, could they cc me a copy to
my e-mail address until I get off the digest?  I hate waiting!! <gg>
Maryjo Ordway
Moscow, Russia