HNW - No subject given

kay.jarrell@ccmail.bus.umich.edu kay.jarrell at ccmail.bus.umich.edu
Tue Nov 4 13:44:57 PST 1997

     In Historic Needlework  Laura [lshumar at iquest.net] wrote:
     "Now I just have to figure out what to *do* with the stuff...all the
     pieces I saw were called "covers," but I'm not sure what they
     were meant to cover....."

     Cushions.  Doubtless.  If you look at sources like the V&A book
     "English Embroidery to 1750"  You will see that things to cover other
     objects are shaped like them. and usually mounted in the shape of what
     they cover.  All the long or short rectangles and squares are marked
     cushion covers.  If the shape fits, sit on it!

     Covering Pillows, Cushions, Seat pads, etc. seems to have been a big
     hobbiest outlet for amature embroiderers.  I observe that with so
     little upholstered furniture in any but the most wealthy inventories
     everyone must be adding cushions.

     Also, it is a great medium for design display.  People have to walk
     right up to your work, which is spread over a large fairly smooth
     surface.

     I must confess that after several years of collecting patterns from
     modelbooks and samplers that I have not yet brought myself to make a
     piece I would sit on.  But, the day may come.  Till then, I'll just
     locating charting and making collection samplers.

     Kay Jarrell
     SCA- Kay of Tre Asterium
     kjarrell at umich.edu