HNW - Facsimile books, copyright, Dover

Donna Hrynkiw donna at Kwantlen.BC.CA
Thu Nov 6 08:51:31 PST 1997

Greetings from Donna Hrynkiw,

Someone brought up Dover Books and their practice of publishing facsimile
versions of out-of-copyright books.

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Nan Bradford-Reid wrote:
> [...] but now Dover owns the copyright, and fair use is permitted, but
> not distribution of copies, whether you are making a profit or not.  If you
> are giving away photocopies of a Dover book, you are cutting into their
> profits and you can bet your bottom bobbin, they won't like it!
> Nan

And with a right!

But there just isn't any excuse to be distributing photocopies of any
Dover book. Bless their little ink-stained souls -- their publications
are in print forever, and reasonably priced to boot!

When it comes to obtaining a copy of an out-of-print or difficult-to-
find publication, I do my level best to buy a copy (try to order it through
a bookstore, write to the publisher, etc) and if I'm unsuccessful, then
I make a photocopy for my own use. If I come across the same publication
for sale at a later date (either it's been re-issued, I find a remaindered
copy, or a used copy) I buy it on principal. I know I already have a
'copy', but I feel badly until I have a 'legal' copy.

Best,

Donna Hrynkiw
donna at kwantlen.bc.ca
http://www.kwantlen.bc.ca/~donna
  "E-mail lists aren't better than sex... but sliced bread has got some
  -serious- competition!"