HNW - Drawn thread/facsimile patterns/mittens

Brett and Karen Williams brettwi at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 6 23:01:47 PST 1997

Mike Newell wrote:

> Dear Nan-
>
> I'm curious. If Dover now owns the copyright to pattern books like
> Vinciolio, first printed in the 16th century, how do they do that? Is it
> merely because they wrote a short introduction? Just wondering...
>
> --Kathryn
> SCA:  Kathryn Goodwyn
> "too many centuries..too little time"

Ehhh- Dover does and yet it doesn't. Dover owns the copyright to *its*
particular edition of an intellectual property that lies in the public
domain. It does not own the copyright to the original work or the
original edition. What that boils down to is if you can lay your hands
on a copy of the original work you may photocopy away to your
pocketboot's limit-- but you may not take the Dover edition of the same
work and photocopy *that* with impunity. I think that's a reasonably
concise summation of a complex issue.

Copyright and intellectual property law makes my eyes cross. ;)

You've posed a very interesting question with profound relevance to the
way the Society at large implements the 'fair use' laws, though. I think
the best person to ask would be Lady Morgan Cely (mumblemumble) of the
Middle Kingdom-- mundanely she is an attorney who has volunteered to
serve as the SCA's authority on copyright and intellectual property. Her
mundane name is Margo Habutzel (I know I've misspelled that...).

She frequents the Middlebridge and the Grand Council mailing lists. I
would cite her email address, but it has disappeared into many too
megabytes of my new and mostly empty hard drive. :(

ciorstan
(merely lurking...)