HNW - 50 weight thread?

Conny Fitzsimmons lifitz at wco.com
Fri Nov 7 10:41:28 PST 1997

the 50 weight refers to the size of the thread.   A lot of crocheted
tablecloths are made in 30 weight wich is pretty easy to find.   40 weight
would be thinner, 50 weight even thinner.   70 weight is used for tatting.
I personally have never seen 40 weight.   I have even used 100 weight for
making lace for a handkerchief.  Good luck on finding 40 weight.

As a side note, what are you planning to do with the thread?
Catherine Lorraine

> LINEN THREAD-- ah, the magic words!
> Where do you get it?  I did get some from a company on the web, but can't
>remember where -- but it turned out to be 50 weight and 30 weight stuff --I
>need 40 weight.

What does the term 50 weight mean for thread?  How does this translate into
units of weight and length?  50 meters per gram?  What would be equivalent
english units?

Elsa Haakonsdotter
Chehalis, WA USA