HNW - 50 weight thread?

RMorrisson RMorrisson at aol.com
Fri Nov 7 11:14:52 PST 1997

Greetings from Myfanwy!
Linen thread/yarn is measured in standard sizes. A 1/1 linen yarn would be 300
yards per pound.  (The first "1" is the size, and the second "1" is the number
of plies.)
For weaving yarns, I have been working with a 16/2 linen.  To figure out the
amount of yarn, multiply the first number (in this case 16) by 300, then
divide by the number of plies (2) to get the amount of yarn per pound; this
would be 2400 yds/pound.  Stuff like lacemaking threads get as fine as 140/2.
(At least that's the finest linen thread that Lacis seems to sell.  Their web
site is http:www.lacis.com -- I am not affiliated with them in any way, except
as a satisfied customer.)
Cotton yarns are measured similarly, except that a 1/1 cotton would be 840
yards/pound.
I'm not sure of the precise conversion from meters to yards, but one meter is
a fraction longer than one yard.
Hope this helps.
Lady Myfanwy ferch Rhiannon
mka Ruth Morrisson