HNW - Drawn thread/facsimile patterns/mittens

Nan Bradford-Reid ad-4na at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Nov 7 11:51:22 PST 1997

At 08:31 PM 11/6/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Nan-
>
>I'm curious. If Dover now owns the copyright to pattern books like
>Vinciolio, first printed in the 16th century, how do they do that? Is it
>merely because they wrote a short introduction? Just wondering...

They don't own the copyright to the original (unless they somehow manage to
buy the only existing copy of a book!! ;^>), but to their version of it. If
you could convince the owner of the original to let you photocopy it -- a
very dangerous thing to do to any book, let alone a very old, valuable one
- -- unless *he/she* has somehow purchased or renewed the rights, there are no
laws preventing it.  However, there are laws protecting Dover's
*reproduction* of the original.  The same applies to a painting.  I can go
to the Uffizi in Florence and ask the museum permission to take a photograph
of Agnolo Bronzino's portrait of Eleanora di Toledo with her Young Son,
Giovanni (http://www.uffizi.firenze.it/Dipinti/bronzele18.jpeg), they might
let you do it for personal use.  They will most certainly ask a fee if you
are going to use it in a book.  However, if you take your copy of _The
Uffizi_ to Kinko's and ask to photocopy the same picture, they won't because
although the painting itself is in the public domain, the *photo* of it
isn't (sometimes you can convince certain copy places to make one color copy
for you for artistic reasons, as I have done, but you have to sign a waiver
releasing the copy shop from responsibility).

Clear as mud, right?

Nan