HNW - HW-thread weights

John Ordway ordway at glasnet.ru
Fri Nov 7 22:47:16 PST 1997

Great discussion from everyone on thread weights -- I know what it is but
never could really explain it.
It's amazing that no one seems to  have heard to 40 weight -- just wonder
why it's not made and why was made here?  It's still made here in regular
sewing thread w/a touch of nylon, and I think I already mentioned that
there is linen thread w/nylon (looks like dental floss to me).  Thanks for
all the help.

(for Catherine Lorraine:  I use the thread for drawn thread work -- I'm
learning from a Russian woman and we use the local linen, which is very
fine.

I just wonder if the teacher here insists on the 40 weight because 1)that's
all what they had here for a long time and 2)that particular weight works
perfectly with the gauge linen we are using, or
3)maybe it is the "closest" to the same weight as the DMC floss which is
used in single strands, doubled or even quadruple strands, depending on the
stitches.

I'm glad to see Margo Lynn's name here.  I know her from the quilting forum
on CompuServe and she was always extremely helpful in setting us straight
on copyright matters.

I also appreciate all the discussion on how to get the materials -- I have
to order by mail but at least now I have a few options.  I periodically get
Dover catalogs by mail, but they have a web site, no?

Maryjo Ordway
Moscow