HNW - Drawn thread/facsimile patterns/mittens

Brett and Karen Williams brettwi at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 11 15:04:05 PST 1997

Nan Bradford-Reid wrote:

> At 11:01 PM 11/10/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >Dear  Beth-Katherine-
> >
> >Oh, thank you! :-D   I will show this to her when we visit and try to
> >persuade her some more. I rellay don't want to drop her work and reissue it
> >with a forward by me. She contributed so much by translating the Italian,
> >and I do want to keep her with this project. She was nervous and wished to
> >consult someone who knew copyright law, and you are the closest we have
> >come. Hopefully  you will have set her mind at rest and help this project
> >be achieved.
> >

> Actually, come to think of it, oh law-inclined-ones, doesn't the fact that
> she did a translation merit its own copyright (providing, of course that
> permission was obtained to use the photos)?
>
> ???
>
> Nan

Mnn, I missed that point. I was thinking merely about the issue of
making photocopies of an extant work and reproducing them (with or
without the intent to make a profit). I don't know quite enough about
that part of intellectual property law to offer my layperson's opinion
on that. I am inclined to think that a translation is not quite enough
of a new twist to be considered wholly the translator's intellectual
property-- that it logically follows, to me, that a translator would
need to obtain permission/release from the source in order to proceed.

Gotta talk to Lady Morgan... ;) This discussion is now zeroing on
specifics rather than generalities.

ciorstan