HNW - Drawn thread/facsimile patterns/mittens

Dick Eney dickeney at access.digex.net
Wed Nov 12 06:46:36 PST 1997

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Brett and Karen Williams wrote:

> Nan Bradford-Reid wrote:
> >
> > At 11:01 PM 11/10/97 -0500, you wrote:
 <snip>
> > > She contributed so much by translating the Italian,
<snip>
> > Actually, come to think of it, oh law-inclined-ones, doesn't the fact that
> > she did a translation merit its own copyright (providing, of course that
> > permission was obtained to use the photos)?
<snip>
> I am inclined to think that a translation is not quite enough
> of a new twist to be considered wholly the translator's intellectual
> property-- that it logically follows, to me, that a translator would
> need to obtain permission/release from the source in order to proceed.
>
> Gotta talk to Lady Morgan... ;) This discussion is now zeroing on
> specifics rather than generalities.

>From discussions on a translation project elsewhere, I believe both of
you are right - (1) the translator is supposed to get permission (at
least for any public use), (2) from looking at translated books, the
translator does get a credit on the copyright page and on the title page.
I'm not sure about royalties; I would guess that, depending on the
contract, it would usually be considered a "work for hire" for the
publishers.  But that would be entirely dependent on the contract.

=Tamar