HNW - stumpwork

Linn Skinner skinner02 at sprynet.com
Wed Nov 19 19:37:16 PST 1997

- ----------
You wrote
>Can anyone recall seeing any other "Esther & Ahasuerus" stumpwork pictures
anywhere?  And if so, where?  <

For a good discussion on the sources of these biblical (old testament)
embroideries see Margaret's Swain's book "Figures on Fabric" which alas
does not have any embroideries worked from the story of Esther.

However the Shire Album "Embroidered Stuart Pictures" by the same author
does have a B&W photo of a box with several scenes of the Esther &
Ahasuerus story.  This box is at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and was
dated to 1667-1707 by the printmaker's impress on one of the interior
trays, John Overton of the White Horse Inn.  These were the years he was
active.

On a quick look, this is the only other photo I turn up at the moment but
I'm sure there are others out there as this was one of the popular stories
from the Old Testament which were expressed in needlework, along with
Bathsheba, et al.

Linn