HNW - HNW-early knitting

Deborah Pulliam pulliam at acadia.net
Wed Oct 1 05:58:08 PDT 1997

<<Are those mixed-technique ones the ones from Saint Trinity church in
Florence? Can you tell me the title of Cardon's publication so I can look for
it?>>

The gloves I referred to are from a rural church in France; afraid I don't have
a name. I don't know of any publishing Domonique has done; this came from a
paper she gave last spring.

 <<are not particularly important when making a pillow for someone who can't
feel it because they're dead.>>

Actually, the two cushions I was referring to are thought to have been
made for a wedding,  so they were not made as burial furnishings.

<<And when the technique is of such high quality (by our modern, low
standards), it is not new, it is already highly developed. >>

It was highly developed in the eastern Mediterranean, what I meant was it was
still new in western Europe; in this case, Spain, and then England.

<< a 17th century "waistcoat" with a slit-front opening down to the mid-chest
and moderately belled sleeves, but no buttons>>

It may well have been cut later--one of the waistcoats I've looked at clearly
was remade at least twice (including the front opening being slit),
probably over the course of about 100 years. Reworking all kinds of
garments and accessories was very common.

Deborah