HNW - HNW- Hardanger and Ukrainian Whitework

EowynA@aol.com EowynA at aol.com
Mon Oct 6 13:12:20 PDT 1997

Hi!

I'm currently taking a Group Correspondence Course through EGA on Ukrainian
Whitework.  I notice a design element that I would call Hardanger (kloster
blocks around an open square, which may or may not be filled in).   I
understand that Hardanger apparently does not date back to our period
(pre-1600), butdid not realize that there were other styles that look similar
and might date back that far.  Does anyone know of any other national
embroidery styles similar to Hardanger?

Does anyone have any  references on early (ca. 1600) versions of this style,
in
any ethnicity?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Melinda Sherbring
(In the Current Middle Ages known as
Baroness Eowyn Amberdrake, O.L. (for Callig and Illum), O. Pel. ,
residing in Caid)