HNW - HNW: More on hooks

Donna Kenton donna at dabbler.com
Mon Oct 6 08:28:26 PDT 1997

Kim Salazar wrote:

> Does anyone know of actual academic research linking the rise of crochet
> (structurally the same as tambour chains without the intervening ground
> cloth) to this form of embroidery?  It seems that around the time crochet
> has its hazy roots, the tool for tambour and the technique were widely
> known.

The only thing I've seen on it says that it is "widely accepted" that
crochet (and crochet hooks) had its origins in tambour work.  While I
agree with the likelihood of that, I have seen no documentation for it.

Donna
- --
My latest story - TEA FOR TWO - now at The Case
(http://www.thecase.com/)
Donna Kenton * donna at dabbler.com * http://www.dabbler.com/