HNW - Hardanger and Ukranian whitework

EowynA@aol.com EowynA at aol.com
Tue Oct 7 08:43:16 PDT 1997

Hello again!

I thank you all for the citations for whitework  (I took that GCC a couple
years ago -- fascinating stuff, and very different from counted thread).

I can date white on white embroidery to pre-1600 (quite a few paintings show
it was done in at least England and Italy on chemise/smock/shirt/partlet
collars).  And my next needle technique to learn is likely to be Reticella
lace, which appears on some of the most exquisite collars, and even the
Dorothy Wadham shirt, which survives from ca. 1600.   But none of these is
really like Hardanger, with its squares of cutaway fabric in a ground that is
essentially plain, with areas of satin stitch.

Thank you to Jacquie Samples for pointing me to
"The Schole-house of the Needle" .  I have that book
but did not think of looking for Hardanger-like patterns there.  I found a
page of
what appear to be basically satin stitch designs, which of course is a part
of hardanger and Ukranian Whitework.  There are also some squares in the
middle of some of the satin stitch areas, which could be interpreted as
places to cut threads.  This is quite encouraging.  I suppose it is too much
to hope that there might be, in some other pattern book, or sampler, the
dove's eyes and woven bars and such....

Any other recommendations for sources greatfully accepted. Any notions on
specific ethnic embroideries (medieval, renaissance, or modern) that look
like hardanger also greatly enjoyed.

Thanks so far!
Melinda Sherbring
(Eowyn Amberdrake)