HNW - Hardanger and Reticello lace

Jacquie Samples jacquie-samples at uiowa.edu
Tue Oct 7 09:32:25 PDT 1997

One more note about the "The Schole-house for the Needle."  I have
interpreted the patterns that look like black and white grids in my
photocopy as reticello lace, a technique which I have picked up over the
last several years.  This technique also depends upon (like Hardanger)
areas of needle-weaving meant to hold the piece together, interspersed with
areas cut away which are then filled back in with various kinds of stitches.
I am not sure which happens first Hardanger, can someone clear this up for
me:
Do you embroider around the area to be cut first, and then to the cutting?
(as in Reticello lace)  Or do you cut away the area, then do the satin
stitching?  I've seen some Hardanger works in progress, but haven't really
attempted any.
Thanks for the help.