Sprang - was Re: HNW - Hardanger and Ukrainian Whitework

Wendy Robertson wcrobert at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Tue Oct 7 13:54:54 PDT 1997

I'm pretty sure the only ressemblance is due to my poor description of
sprang.  I know a sprang sampler can be done on a wire coat hanger (you cut
the coat hanger when done).  Also, the small loom from the Oseberg ship
burial might have been used for sprang.  The ancient Greeks did sprang on a
sort of trapezoid shaped frame.  Basically, you want some way of stretching
the threads, but you also need to be able to adjust the tension.  The more
you twist the fibers around each other the tighter it gets, so eventually
you need to change the tension so you can continue to work.

By the way, Barber (in Prehistoric Textiles) quotes van Reesema's
definition of sprang: "plaiting with stretched threads".

At 03:24 PM 10/7/97 -0400, Mike Newell said:
>Dear Wendy-
>
>The description of a sprang frame sounds tatalizingly like a modern
>knitting machine?
>
>Just curious.
>
>--Kathryn
>SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn