HNW - lacis

Linn Skinner skinner02 at sprynet.com
Tue Oct 7 15:26:44 PDT 1997

Wendy:

Lacis is a type of darned net.  The net is made on a small frame about 6-8"
square and then thread is woven in and around the net with a needle to make
a design.  Many of the designs in the early Italian and German patternbooks
were for Lacis.  The squares are then removed and often set in linen
pieces.  This was one of the favorite sorts of needlework of Mary Queen of
Scots.

The Victoria and Albert Museum in London has several textiles that include
lacis squares which can be identified in the early modelbuchen.

Linn