HNW - lacis

Donna Hrynkiw donna at Kwantlen.BC.CA
Tue Oct 7 19:07:22 PDT 1997

Hello from Donna Hrynkiw,

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Linn Skinner wrote:
> Lacis is a type of darned net.  The net is made on a small frame about 6-8"

Must'a been a typo there. I think you meant the -darning- is done on a
small frame.

The net ground itself isn't made on a frame, but tethered to a stationary
point and worked with a shuttle and often a gauge.

The 'net' we're talking about is very much like the net used by fishermen
and bird-catchers for centuries, only it was made of finer thread and with
smaller holes. (Although I've never been able to find specific
documentation on the size of the meshes/holes, I'd guestimate they were in
the 5-8mm/side range.) When I make net intended for lacis, I work it using
a 2mm double-pointed knitting needle as a gauge.

> square and then thread is woven in and around the net with a needle to make
> a design.

The technique is often referred to as 'net darning', which may help you
visualize it a little.

> Many of the designs in the early Italian and German patternbooks
> were for Lacis.

Well, they were ideally suited for lacis, but there were/are several
needlework techniques the graphed designs could be applied to. There
are, however, a number of worked lacis pieces that can be matched with
particular graphed patterns, so we -know- they were at least applied to
lacis.

> The squares are then removed and often set in linen
> pieces.

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'removed'. Squares of lacis were
often alternated with squares of embroidered linen to make bedclothes or
tableclothes.

> The Victoria and Albert Museum in London has several textiles that include
> lacis squares which can be identified in the early modelbuchen.
>
> Linn

Whups. I should have read ahead.

Best,

Donna