HNW - Master Knitters was Re: Sprang

Dick Eney dickeney at access.digex.net
Tue Oct 7 19:55:45 PDT 1997

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Donna Hrynkiw wrote:

> Greetings from Donna,
>
> On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Tamar wrote:
> [...]
> > Knitted fabric is cloth too,
> > it's just made with simpler implements than a big old loom, so
> > anybody can make it with a fairly small investment in tools.
> [...]
> > Some regulations for
> > the Master Knitters required the knitting of a carpet six
> > feet square with at least six colors, including flowers and
> > animals in natural colors.
>
> Yeah, but I thought those were done on a knitting frame. (I may be
> wrong, I've only glanced at a couple of articles. Hmm. I wonder if
> I can find them again.)
>
> Anybody have Rutt handy? I'm sure he must refer to them.

I don't remember what Rutt said.  Turnau is undecided; she suggests the
possibility of a series of double-pointed needles rather than what she
thinks would be a pair of six-foot-long single-pointed needles, but also
mentions the possibility of a knitting frame.  The kind of knitting frame
the carpets may have been done on is just a hollow rectangle of wood with
pegs on it, like a huge knitting-nobby.  That is still less room-filling
than a loom.  Machine knitting wasn't up to producing work with that many
color changes in 1605.

=Tamar (sharing computer dickeney at access.digex.net)