HNW - Re: Sprang - was Re: Hardanger and Ukrainian Whitework

Irene Davis idavis at ix.netcom.com
Tue Oct 7 22:05:52 PDT 1997

>On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Mike Newell wrote:
>
>> Icelandic people knitted TENTS??? Wasn't it just easier to use cloth
or
>> hides (much faster, too!)
>>
>> I am boggled.
>
>Me, too, but that's what Turnau said.

I don't know about knitting tents, but I do know that the Icelanders
have sheep with VERY long fiber wool. When I lived in Maine I was given
an Icelandic sweater, and I found it TOO WARM to ice skate in in all
but the VERY coldest weather. Very amazing critters, they make most
regular sheep look naked! Since my wool fabric cloak, which has the
lanolin left in, sheds water like a duck, I would imagine that a
properly knit and shrunk piece of knitting would make an amazing tent!

Irene Davis
SCA: Eirny Thorvaldsdottir