HNW - Re: HNW Period "Hardanger and Ukrainian Whitework"

CONNECT@aol.com CONNECT at aol.com
Wed Oct 8 08:20:59 PDT 1997

<<Sounds fascinating.  But if I understand you correctly, that is embroidery
done
on a net background (like Irish lace?).   I'm looking for something that is
basically solid fabric with small squares of drawn work (say, 8 threads by 8
threads, max) , which is in turn filled with needlelace or squares or
diamonds.  Is that like what you are describing?

Melinda>>

Good Gentles,

I believe the technique you're looking for is called Reticella. It's detailed
in Pattern Book of Renaissance Lace--A Reprint of the 1617 Edition of the
"Corona Delle Nobili et Virtuose Donne" by Cesare Vecellio. It's a Dover
reprint with 112 illustrations.

I am interested in learning Reticella, but have only gotten as far as doing
some beginning drawnwork.

Yours,
Rosalyn MacGregor
(Pattie Rayl)